I came to Tommy today and seriously asked him to consider this.
A year with no purchasing.
I had it planned that I would start a separate blog and a weekly newspaper column regarding this. The plan would start the 9th of August. And things I could buy were things like gas, food, drinks, detergent, and toothpaste. Stuff you used and it literally disappeared or somewhat did. I was still having a hard time about toilet paper. Is it depleatable? I told myself that if you could throw it in a trashcan it couldn't be bought, but it's toilet paper! Other things I couldn't buy were school clothes, shoes, tape, vacuum bags (or garbage and ziploc for that matter) q-tips, cards, gifts (birthday, shower, Christmas, etc.) and new tires. I mean business here. I wanted to see just how I would do it. I figured with a website and column that I would learn to barter/trade items.
Great idea huh! I mean wouldn't you be sold if your wife told you she never wanted to spend a dime and instead barter her way for a year. I told him I was willing to wash baggies for a year. Use shampoo as soap! Heck I wanted to empty out the vacuum bag and re-use it every time it got full!
Well when I told my husband of my plan, he asked "why?"
Oh I don't know. I want to see if I could do it. I want to see the kindness in humanity, and of course the challenge. I also mentioned I was bored.
He mentioned that we were financial sound and that if this is coming from boredom that I won't be bored for a WHOLE year! Just today.
I said I know that but I wanted a change. A challenge. I am bored. Needless to say he said he wouldn't join me whatsoever! So I cried like a girl who couldn't get her way.
As I wept he rubbed my back and told me this," When ever I get bored I go and pull weeds."
To Tommy my suggestion was as wild as the title on this book!

amanda i would totally lend you my toilet paper unused though:)
ReplyDelete